- The band was formed in 2014 in Warsaw on the initiative of the marriage of Natalia and Dominik Abłamowiczs. Its name, referring to the song by Champion Jack Dupree, is homage to old American music, in particular blues, rhythm’n’blues, boogie-woogie, barrel house and soul. Blues Junkers is a small band without a bass player, with a small drum set. Such minimalism intends to achieve a unique sound, based on traditional barrelhouse piano combined with a newer, but still classic, blues guitar in the style of B.B. King or Freddie King. The most important person in the band is the vocalist Natalia, whose way of singing resembles the style of the best blues singers, such as Lil Green, Katie Webster, Etta James and Ruth Brown.
- The band’s first album, “Blues Not Dead,” was a mix of classic blues, soul and boogie-woogie.
- Its latest album, “Night Time” (2019), contains nine original songs. In addition to the classic rhythm’n’blues (‘Good Evening Everybody’, ‘Mama don’t like’, ‘Hey Boy’, ‘Don’t talk me to death’), we find jazz songs (‘Nighttime’, ‘Somebody told me‘, ‘Poczekalnia PKP’, ‘Mellow wine’), soul (‘Stranger’s eyes’, ‘Life’s like that’), and even rockabilly (“Slow down brother”).
- Blues Junkers won the title of best blues debutante in 2015, and a year later they represented Poland at the European Blues Challenge in Italy. In 2018, vocalist Natalia Abłamowicz was recognized as the best Polish blues singer!
- The band has performed at major festivals in Poland, such as: Rawa Blues, Autumn with Blues, Suwałki Blues Festival, Blues Express, Olsztyn Blues Nights, Polish Boogie Festival and Jimiway Blues Festival as well as abroad: Eutin Blues Baltica, European Blues Challenge, Blues Apertif.
- Band members:
- Natalia Abłamowicz – vocals, kazoo
Dominik Abłamowicz – piano, harp
Maciek Sych – guitar
Krzysztof Mika – drums
- The band was founded on the initiative of the Irish vocalist and songwriter Richard Farrell and Danish bass player and producer Laust Nielsen.
- They played their first concert in 2016 in the Charlie Scotts bar and they liked playing together so much that they soon wrote their first hit “Wholesome Treat”. Over the next months, more songs were created and in August 2017 their debut album was ready. After winning the award for the best Danish blues album, their career over the past year and a half has gained momentum!
- Richard and Laust have different perspectives on music and this is their strength. Richard comes from a traditional blues-soul-jazz environment, while Laust comes from blues-reggae-hip-hop circles. By combining these different visions, Laust’s production talent, and Richard’s music and lyrics, Trainman Blues was born.
- On stage they are accompanied by guitarist Nichlas Kure and drummer Lars Heiberg Andersen.
- Band members:
- Richard James Farrell – vocal, guitar
- Laust Nielsen – bass
- Nichlas Kure – guitar
- Lars Andersen – drum
Thorbjørn Risager & The Black Tornado
- The Danish group honored in 2017 with the title of the best band in the European Blues Awards plebiscite! The band’s history dates back to 2003, when vocalist and guitarist Thorbjørn Risager invited some favorite musicians to his new project. The band was named Thorbjørn Risager Blue 7 and began concerts throughout Denmark. Soon it gained popularity all over Europe and in the United States.
- In 2014, they signed a contract with Ruf Records in Germany, a record company with a very strong position in the international blues world. In the same year, before releasing the award-winning album “Too Many Roads”, they also updated their name with “The Black Tornado” to prove that we are dealing with a real band, not a group of a few random musicians.
- Band members:
- Thorbjørn Risager – vocals and guitar
- Emil Balsgaard – piano and organ
- Joachim Svendsgaard – guitar
- Hans Nybo – saxophone and backup vocals
- Peter Kehl – trumpet and backup vocals
- Søren Bøjgaard – bass
- Martin Seidelin – drums and backup vocals